Young Epilepsy is a registered charity and a board of trustees (Trust Board) has overall accountability for all aspects of its activities
The Trust Board has delegated responsibility for governance of the education at Young Epilepsy to the Education Governing Body (EGB).
The EGB is also comprised to comply with the Non-Maintained Special Schools (England) Regulations 2015.
The Trust Board
The Trust Board's responsibilities include the following:
- Setting the strategic direction of Young Epilepsy
- Approving Young Epilepsy's overall budget
- Appointing the executive team to whom day-to-day operational responsibilities and authority are delegated
- Agreeing areas for delegation and appointing committees to carry out delegated responsibilities.
The Education Governing Body
The EGB reports to the Trust Board and is responsible for:
- Monitoring the effective management and performance of St Piers School (including the Sure Start Centre) and St Piers College
- Advising the Trust Board on achievements and areas for improvement
- Undertaking delegated authority for the Trust Board on the following matters:
- Strategic direction
- Quality assurance
- The investigation and handling of complaints
- Learner outcomes
- Equality and diversity
- Health and safety
- Compliance with statutory requirements
- Ratifying key policies
- Appointing lead governors from amongst the EGB governors to monitor and report to the EGB on specific aspects of educational and residential activities.
- Providing minutes and other reports and recommendations to the Trust Board.
The Chair of the EGB is a member of the Trust Board and the Chair of the Trust Board is an ex-officio member of the EGB.
The EGB meets its responsibilities by working with the Trust Board, the Chief Executive and the directorate senior leadership teams.
It has six scheduled meetings at regular intervals throughout the school and college year. In addition, Governors meet with allocated lead managers and make regular targeted visits to St Piers School and St Piers College and make reports on these visits to the EGB.
The EGB has two subcommittees with remits as follows:
- Finance and Resources
- Finance including financial planning, budgeting and monitoring spend
- Personnel, including staffing, salaries, recruitment and retention
- Performance and Standards
- Teaching and learning
- Assessment and pupil progress
- Self-evaluation and improvement
- Monitoring and evaluation of pupil progress and outcomes data
Please contact the school for details of the full EGB Terms of Reference, should you require them.